Re: VC mode and git

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 05:45:07 +0200

> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
> Cc: Daniel Colascione <address@hidden>,
>     address@hidden,
>     address@hidden
> Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 09:41:07 +0900
>
> It never hurts to commit more often than you push, and many DVCS users
> take advantage of that capability.  Currently C-x v v serves both "I
> only commit when I push" and "commit early, commit often" workflows.
> It doesn't serve the former as well as it could.  But if you make the
> change Richard proposed, it doesn't serve the latter at all.

I'm way beyond what Richard proposed, please read the rest of the
thread.

We could support the "commit much more often" workflows by having an
option that determines whether and when to try pushing after a commit,
one of the values could be 'never'.

> If you make the "if uncommitted changes then commit else push" change,
> I suspect it will embarrass users of branchy workflows frequently.
> Currently C-x v v is a no-op if there are no uncommitted changes.  With
> the proposed change in workflow, it will push what is most likely an
> in-progress state of the tree.

Given an option, users can control that, I think.

Also, a recent suggestion was to "git show" and offer a push from that
display, instead of just pushing.  Perhaps that's better, as it allows
a decision point.