Re: VC mode and git

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 10:48:57 +0100

>> Why that difference?  Why not committing multiple files with `vc-dir'?

> Because I started using magit a long time ago, I can't remember if
> vc-dir existed then, and if I tried it, but if I did I settled on magit.

So I tried vc-dir now, some first impressions:
 - Key bindings are similar to magit, my fingers didn't need much
   re-training
 - vc-git seems faster than magit
 - vc-git doesn't group files in the way that magit does
   (ie. "Untracked", "Unstaged" and "Staged"), and I think I like
   magit's way better (vc-git is more similar to the way pcl-cvs and
   svn-status operated)
 - vc-git operates on the directory it's run, while magit skips up to
   the directory containing the .git directory and runs for there, and
   since I use magit-status as a way to look at the current status and
   move up to the top directory, the magit way works better for me
   (especially on Java projects, where 'M-x magit-status RET' updates the
   magit status and takes me to the top where I can use 'M-x compile' to
   do "mvn clean install")
 - The way vc-git shows the diffs for the commits in the commit list was
   a bit annoying: they are shown inline, and I couldn't figure out a
   way to close them. magit opens the diff in a new buffer, and that
   buffer can be exited with 'q', and I like the magit way better here also