Re: VC mode and git

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 11:04:51 -0400

>> I don't understand what you mean here by "shows the diffs for the
>> commits in the commit list" and "shown inline".
> The buffer shows a list of commits, one per each line, pressing enter of
> a commit expands it, and shows the metadata of the commit.

Ah, I see you're talking about the "log", I thought you were talking
about something that had to do with the "commit" operation.

> The most immediately annoying feature of vc-dir, was that it didn't
> group the files into unstaged and staged,

Indeed, this is a particular feature of Git, and vc-git hasn't figured
out how to integrate it in the generic UI of VC.
I tend not to use the index very heavily (I'm still a fairly young Git
user, evidently), so I don't suffer from it too much, but it's clearly
wrong (an obvious problem is when the file is modified in the index and
this modification is undone in the actual file, so "git diff HEAD --
<file>" is empty: then vc-dir will sometimes show the file as "up-to-date"
and sometimes as "modified").

> because that's a very important distinction when manually resolving
> merge conflicts.

Hmm... I never/rarely care about the index while resolving conflicts,
I just use smerge-mode and vc-find-next-conflicted-file and then commit
the result (and I do these kinds of commit from the command line rather
than from vc-dir).

        Stefan