Re: VC mode and git

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 19:27:43 +0200

> From: Thien-Thi Nguyen <address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 08:21:47 +0100
>
>    We could support the "commit much more often" workflows by
>    having an option that determines whether and when to try
>    pushing after a commit, one of the values could be 'never'.
>
> I think in practice many people will set this to ‘never’ and
> then continue "manual push"

I see nothing wrong with that.  DWIM-ish operation is not for
everybody, certainly for a package as flexible as Git.

The relevant question is: would this be useful in enough use cases to
justify the feature, at least as an option?

> Thus, long term, such a feature will be underused, undertested
> and definitely underappreciated.

Please note how you put 3 assumptions one on top of the other, and
then made a conclusion out of that, which is basically founded on
nothing but your own experience and preferences.

> So my lazy-maintainer spidey-sense tells me that, rather than
> adding an imperfect heuristic layer, it would be better to add a
> primitive (i.e., ‘vc-push’) and let people invoke it as part of
> their personal (and IME instance-specific!) post-commit workflow
> by the standard means (keyboard macro, hook, advice).

What exactly would be the difference between the proposed vc-push and
invoking "git push" via M-! ?