Re: VC mode and git

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 06:54:34 -0400

  > Absolutely not. Git is decentralized system. The whole point is to
  > separate *my* history from *your* history.

The whole point of VC is to provide a common interface to various VC

You may regard that decentralization as a feature.  I have no use for
it myself, but I did fall into the resulting pitfall.

That is no reason to abandon the compatibility that is VC's goal.

  > This is incredibly powerful
  > facility that Emacs should not try to bypass in order to make git work
  > more like the obsolete version control systems it supplanted.

They are not obsolete, and they are not supplanted.  You don't have to
use them, but I do.

  > It's not even clear how the feature would work. The upstream for a
  > particular git repository isn't always clear.

For 'git push' to work, it has to know where to push to.
Isn't that clear enough?  If 'git push' knows where,
C-x v v checkin can know where.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation