Re: git is screwed

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
Subject: Re: git is screwed
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 12:11:41 +0100

Richard Stallman wrote:

   >  I think it might be useful if you posted the result of running “git
   >  status -s” so we can assess the damage.

Here it is.  I can only guess what the flags mean,

You can run “git help status” and read what it says under the heading “Short Format”.

> but if 'M' means it
is modified on this machine, I am very surprised -- I never touched
most of those files.

The vast majority have M in the first column and a space in the second. That means they are modified in the index (uh, staging area is the modern name for it). They will be the result of the incomplete merge: Most of them are files that have been modified in the remote repository but not locally. The Ds have been deleted, and the As have been added.

M  .gitattributes
M  CONTRIBUTE
> […]

The only file with a non-blank second column is here:

MM lisp/ChangeLog

That's your merge conflict.

I have to go now, no time for the next couple hours. But perhaps someone else will give you advice.

Perhaps it is useful if you also run these commands and report the output:

git show-ref HEAD
git show-ref master

The latter assuming you're on the master branch. Otherwise, replace “master” by emacs-24 or whatever branch you're on.

– Harald