Re: VC mode and git

From: Alexis
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 23:27:36 +1100

Eric S. Raymond <address@hidden> writes:

Nobody can make you change your mind. Speaking as VC's designer I'm not *entirely* opposed to adding a switch to make it behave the way you want, though I don't think it would be a better idea than if you got your mind in better sync with the way DVCSes actually work.

But changing the default...that would be a bad idea. That would be trying to distort all DVCSes into a CVS-like shape. I won't do that, it would make too many other people unhappy for what I consider to be no good reason.

My guess is that, if such a setting /were/ made a default, there might well be a rash of people posting to places like StackExchange with issues like:

"Help! I thought git commit and push would always be two separate operations, and now, using VC, I've accidentally just pushed some local commits to the origin repo. How do i undo this, particularly before anyone else does a fetch or pull from that repo?"

And that, after being told how to unclobber the remote, it will be suggested to these people that they use magit instead. Which would be fine by me, since i'm a fan of magit; but it might not be so good for convincing people to use VC as their primary source control interface.

Alexis.