Re: electric-pair-mode as a minor mode?

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: electric-pair-mode as a minor mode?
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 14:09:28 +0000

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

> It's probably because of something in the context, but you can't assume
> that parens are properly balanced in text mode.

I don't, not directly. I just use whatever (syntax-table) says, as does
`show-paren-mode' FWIW. And it says that text-mode buffers are all the
same context and should have balanced parenthesis. Perhaps it shouldn't.

> Here's one concrete example I bumped into earlier today:
>
>    this is a sad example :-(
>    I just wanted to type foo ())

For every :-( there should be a :-), see?

Seriously, while I won't stand in the way of having some
`electric-pair-mode'-related default hookage in text-mode-hook, why
isn't this fixed in text-mode's syntax-table? Aren't those wrong
assumptions the real culprit?

Do you want to recognize that the "sad example :-(" is in "a different
context" than the function call foo(), and so should not be paired? If
so, there's emacs machinery that separate those contexts (comment and
non-comment) and `electric-pair-mode' can take that into consideration
via `electric-pair-text-syntax-table'.

But you obviously know this, so what do you have in mind?

João