Re: VC mode and git

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 13:53:52 -0400

> The broader issue is how to generalize RCS-style vc-next-action to
> modern dVCSes.  I think the current "generalization" is mostly a net
> loss; we can and should do better.

Back in RCS times, the set of possible actions at any given time was
limited by constraints imposed by the tool.
A lot of the motivation behind the subsequent tools has been to try and
lift this constraints, and as a result, unsurprisingly most operations
can now be applied at any time.
So the DWIM element of C-x v v is indeed by nature very difficult to
port from RCS to Git/Hg/Bzr/Younameit.

So I think that refining C-x v v is pretty hopeless.  I won't stop
anyone from doing it, but I think it's a complete waste of time.

        Stefan