Re: VC mode and git

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2015 21:20:22 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> It might be most useful, and generate the least additional heat, to just
>> let people who want to use Git as Git be happy in magit-land.   It's
>> clearly superior to vc.el in a long list of ways.
>
> No one said that magit users should switch to vc.el, and no one
> suggested to make any changes whatsoever to magit.  This discussion is
> only about vc.el and its vc-next-action feature.  People who are not
> interested in that feature and don't use it, or don't use vc.el at
> all, should not fear any changes that will affect them.

This discussion is not about choosing among two sensible options as the
candidates for the default configuration. Just giving the possibility of
"C-x v v" to push as an option is questionable to me. Such request can
only come from someone who do not fully understands what a dVCS is
about. OTOH, allowing "C-x v v" to push as a default is just a
disservice to the Emacs community. Plain and simple. It is a trap with
the potential of embarrassing Emacs users and annoying the rest who
participate on the same project.

"C-x v v" makes little sense on a chageset-based VCS (not only Git, but
Subversion as well.) vc-dir, Magit, psvn, etc, are the sensible way of
dealing with those VCSs. Insisting on a CVS workflow when you are using
tools that are based on different paradigms is a recipe for melancholy.