Re: VC mode and git

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Sat, 28 Mar 2015 12:15:59 -0400

  > But we could also have an `after-commit-hook' to which Richard could
  > attach a call to `vc-push'.

1. In principle, that would do the job, but people are saying that
that is unreliable, that if the push fails it would leave things
in a bad state.

I have not yet seen a definitive answer about whether git reset is a
reliable fix for that.

2. It would be ok if this asks for user approval rather than just
going ahead.

3. It would be good to make a simple way to request this in the
repository, perhaps by touching a certain file name, so that the
simple Git recommendations could tell people a simple way to do this.

Can the repository itself have a file that directs git to run a shell
command after pushing?  That command could be a shell conditional that
does a push if a certain file name exists.  Then the simple Git
recommendations could say to touch that file name.  The command could
check for the file in the current directory and each of its parents,
stopping at the root dir of the repository.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation