Re: Organizing package.el a bit

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Re: Organizing package.el a bit
Date: Sun, 29 Mar 2015 11:04:25 +0200

> I'd like to know whether it's ok to split it into two files,
> package.el and package-menu.el?

> The distinction is very logic, there's a ton of stuff that goes on in
> package.el which doesn't make any use of the package-menu.
> The only downside of this refactoring would be to mess up things like
> `git-blame`, and that's why I'm askinghere.

If you do
 cp package.el package-menu.el
 git add package-menu.el
 git commit -m "Copying verbatim to preserve history"

before you start working, and then do your changes by removing stuff
from package-menu.el (and package.el) and not move things around
otherwise, then git-blame should show the correct history.