Re: Customizable modes and package.el

From: Artur Malabarba
Subject: Re: Customizable modes and package.el
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 17:07:16 +0100

> >> That's not an option, because the user may need/want to run some Elisp
> >> code of his own choosing *before* package-initialize is called.
> >> E.g. in my case, I need to set package-load-list and
> >> package-directory-list before package-initialize runs.
> >
> > `package-initialize' could look into some file like
> > ~/.emacs.d/package-init.el and load that before initializing.
>
> Please, not Yet Another File That Changes Emacs' Behaviour

The file would not exist unless the user manually created it.

I'm not thrilled at this solution, and I'm open to alternatives, but we have to do something.

This package.el-induced "cannot find load file" error is the most predominant issue I see people run into in the wild. Some people file issues for this stuff on github, others go to the relevant forums, and others (I can only imagine) probably just give up on configuring packages (or give up Emacs!) entirely.

We would be sparing a LOT of man-hours (from newbiews and from the experts who help them) if we found a solution for this conundrum.