Re: VC mode and git

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 14:47:08 +0300

> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,
>     address@hidden,
>     address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 13:03:33 +0900
>
> Eli Zaretskii writes:
>
>  > If it needs to cater to non-experts, let alone people who cannot
>  > afford or be bothered to learn enough of Git, it should also make sure
>  > the repository is left in a state from which it is easy to proceed
>  > with fixing whatever problems are left after backing out the commit.
>  > I'm not sure this is easy.
>
> "Easy to proceed with fixing" is an impossible standard, when you're
> talking about people who don't follow instructions to the letter and
> probably don't remember exactly what they did.

Depends on the interpretation of "easy", I guess.  I think it should
be possible to define that such that this wouldn't be an impossible
standard.  Basically, the "fixing" part should involve a couple of
simple commands.

> For example, I have no fscking idea how Richard put his workspace
> into a state where git thinks a zillion source files are modified.

I think those are just the files brought by "pull", but not merged due
to conflicts.