Re: April 7 cutover for generating ChangeLog automatically

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: April 7 cutover for generating ChangeLog automatically
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 22:13:20 -0700

Stefan Monnier wrote:
  - If the commit has authors other than yourself, the commit message should
>contain a separate line like the following:
>    Co-authored-by: Joe Schmoe<address@hidden>
Can't we just use "Author: Joe <joe>, Jane <jane>" ?

>  - If the commit is a tiny change that is exempt from copyright paperwork,
>the commit message should contain a separate line like the following:
>    Copyright-paperwork-exempt: yes
How are we supposed to remember this one (and make sure it's typed
correctly)?
Could we use "Author: Joe <joe> (tiny change)"?

I don't see why not. I suppose someone could modify the build-aux/gitlog-to-changelog script to do both things. That script is copied from Gnulib -- I didn't change it. I'll CC: this to Jim Meyering (who wrote that script) to see what he thinks about the suggestion.

Jim, the context is that we're converting Emacs to generate ChangeLog files automatically, like coreutils etc. do. Please see this thread:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2015-03/msg01045.html