Re: VC mode and git

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2015 06:22:15 -0400

  > > Reportedly pull includes merge, so this implies that git pull is also
  > > dangerous when you have made changes.

  > Dangerous in which way?

I don't know.  The git documentation says it can cause some sort of
lossage, but was not specific.

  > If you get a conflict in the merge, git will not complete the commit
  > until the conflict is handled (much as any version control system).

1. Is that what happened to me?  I've sent the output of several
diagnostic commands; perhaps you can tell from them.

2. With CVS, merge conflicts are easy to handle -- just edit the file,
look for the <<< and >>> that indicate conflicts, and fix up each one.
Can I do it that way in Git?

  > If the pull merge affects any of the files you have uncommitted changes
  > in, then git refuses to merge (refuses to overwrite your local changes).

1. Is that what happened to me?  I've sent the output of several
diagnostic commands; perhaps you can tell from them.

2. If it doesn't show me the conflicts in the file, what can I do then?

  > You can do a pull.  The simplest way to avoid most of the possible
  > conflicts would be to
  >  git stash
  >  git pull
  >  git stash pop
  > before you commit.

  > But note that "git stash pop" can have conflicts, and git pull may have
  > conflicts (if you don't have any other local changes except your
  > uncommitted changes, ie. no local commits, then pull will never have
  > conflicts).

Once again, what can I do if it has conflicts?

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation