Re: A protest against pcase, pcase-let, pcase-let*

From: Nic Ferrier
Subject: Re: A protest against pcase, pcase-let, pcase-let*
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2015 13:04:23 +0100

address@hidden (Phillip Lord) writes:

> The documentation is, I think, written from the perspective of someone
> who knows what this sort of pattern-matching does already. The elisp
> manual is, of course, a manual rather than a tutorial and the pcase
> documentation is particularly not an easy read.
>
> The emacs-wiki has tons of examples, which is much easier to understand
> I think!
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/PatternMatching

I think it's awful, personally.

I don't recall any discussion about whether it would be useful
either. Unlike for, say, the yield stuff which has to be debated
forever.

There are much better, more lisp idiomatic, libs for doing pattern
matching which pcase should give way to imo.

Shadchen for example.

Pattern matching is an excellent tool for programmers. I think pcase is
a poor implementation for EmacsLisp.

Nic