Re: VC mode and git

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2015 16:56:06 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:

>> Manpages are not tutorials.  There are a lot of good tutorials
>> available.  Just use them.
>
> There's a large gap between where the tutorials leave off and the man
> pages pick up.  I found nothing to fill that gap, in terms of
> background information regarding what is going on.  There are a lot of
> specific questions answered on StackOverflow and such likes, but they
> provide cookbook-style solutions, which is very good for solving
> specific problems, but not if one wants to understand what's going on
> better.

Please note that Alan mentioned several times that he is not interested
on the "what's going on" part of Git (which IMO is a reasonable stance,
but I do not understand why he insists on ignoring the advice about not
using the man pages for learning how to use Git and read instead some of
the multiple tutorials and introductions available on the 'net.)

> So once you are past the basic stuff, you have nowhere else
> to go to learn more, except from your own experience.

IIRC there are several technical articles about the innards of Git.