Re: VC mode and git

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Wed, 01 Apr 2015 19:09:52 +0200

Drew Adams <address@hidden> writes:

>> > Indices on Emacs manuals are a very unproductive way of finding
>> > information. Just my personal experience.
>>
>> My personal experience is just the opposite, FWIW.
>
> Same here.
>
> But it helps quite a bit to be able to use substring/regexp
> completion matching.  (I use Icicles.)
>
> It seems to be the case that many people nowadays are not used
> to using indexes in general (e.g. books).  In many cases, users
> are forced to make do with only search and no useful indexes,
> for online help.  Given that (lamentable) state, it is no wonder
> that some do not see the point (advantage) of indexes.  Dommage.

Indices on the Emacs manual are good when you need to know where a
feature is explained and you know the terminology, as is the case of the
indices of most technical books I know. When you don't know the
terminology and just have a vague idea about how the topic you are
interested on *might* be named, you are lost. Modern search engines are
much better because, among other things, they build on the accumulated
experience of the user community, not only on what someone anticipated.