Re: VC mode and git

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2015 03:29:20 +0900

Harald Hanche-Olsen writes:
 > Richard Stallman wrote:
 > > The reason I don't commit a change immediately after I write it is
 > > that I want to test it in real (and varied) use.  Sometimes I find
 > > bugs and have to change it.  After some period in which it works well,
 > > I decide it is ready to install.
 >
 > That is a good reason.

But not sufficient, IMHO.  It has its plus side from the point of view
of tidiness.  However, as Eli describes in more detail, it is a good
idea to record the history of fixes and enhancements.  This is *very*
useful to third-party maintainers who want to preserve the original
developer's intent.  Proverbs about "the only thing we learn from
history"[1] notwithstanding, people can and do learn from others'
mistakes and improvements.

Footnotes:
[1]  "... is that people don't learn from history."