Re: VC mode and git

From: Thien-Thi Nguyen
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2015 22:09:00 +0200

() "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
() Thu, 02 Apr 2015 06:11:59 +0900

    > A commit is a commitment.

   No, it is nothing of the kind.

Better to say "git commit" is a commitment to yourself, only,
and thus as light or heavy as you yourself [mt]ake it.

When the commitment is light, that is an invitation (for the
conscientious) to reflect and clean up, later.  Lazy weight.
Extreme lightness is a sketch, playful and exploratory, perhaps
to be enhanced, perhaps to be discarded.  This is attractive to
people in the same way that *scratch* is attractive to hackers.

The danger of [mt]aking light of commitment is that of being
unconscientious, failing to reflect and clean up.  Then, when
heaviness arrives (in the form of "git push"), what is shared is
not settled and foundational, but ajumble and ankle-breaking.

So, in the end, the difference between heavy and light amounts
only to timing (for the conscientious, which i hope we all are
or strive to be).

--
  (if you're human and you know it) read my lisp: