Re: VC mode and git

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Fri, 03 Apr 2015 17:16:30 +0900

Eli Zaretskii writes:

 > The situation is that a pull was done and failed because of
 > conflicting local commits.  The merge part of the pull in this case
 > is already aborted.

"Abort" means *nothing is done* as far as I can tell from the
documentation and experimentation with a couple of toy repos.  In
particular, files that were modified on remote are *not* updated
locally (although the commits and dependent objects are in the origin
branch), and there are *no* conflict markers added to the file that
would have conflicts if the merge was conducted.

 > All Richard needs to do is resolve the conflicts one by one (AFAIU,
 > he only had one to begin with, in a ChangeLog file), and then do:
 >
 >   git commit
 >   git push

I guess this procedure will create a commit without any of the most
recently pulled content.  He will need to do the merge again, which
may result in more conflicts.  (I can't be sure since I can't figure
out how he got the repo in that state.)