Re: VC mode and git

From: Steinar Bang
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Sat, 04 Apr 2015 18:09:58 +0200

> I think it will succeed in fetching, and then refuse to merge.

Correct.

> But the way to handle this is the same as if the conflicted changes
> are committed: fix the conflicts, and then "git pull" again.  Right?

No, that won't work: since the merge hasn't happened, there will be no
conflicts, just the uncommitted changes.

The only way to make git do the merge is to move away the uncommitted
changes, either by committing them, or by stashing them.

So to get out of the unpullable situation one either have to keep
committing changesets (and try a pull), or do
 git stash
 git pull
 git stash pop

(unfortunately the "git stash pop" may also have a conflict, and getting
out of fixing the conflict without committing, is sort-of-advanced git,
at least nothing to put in a simple workflow)