Re: VC mode and git

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2015 07:31:54 +0900

Eli Zaretskii writes:

 > > (1) Say that a pull is a fetch plus a merge and what these do.
 >
 > Why would that matter for people who just want to copy their mental
 > models from CVS to Git with minimal changes?

I'm with Eli on this one; there's no need to explain, and people who
encounter different workflows elsewhere are welcome to ask here.

 > > (3) Mention both stashing and rebasing.  IMO it's no use ignoring them.
 > >      People will find them in the manuals and tutorials and we should at
 > >      least tell them why the method we propose here is sufficient or
 > >      better.
 >
 > The fact that these are mentioned in the manuals is not a good
 > guidance for mentioning them, since the manuals mention a lot more
 > than just these two.

I'm with Eli on this.  Richard is a special case because of his need
for long intervals between pulls, and his preference for leaving
changes uncommitted for long intervals as well.  I'm not really sure
what to recommend for people who like to work that way.  So stash
isn't a real need in the base workflow IMO, but I'm not all that sure.

Rebase is documented with warnings almost everywhere.  Nobody should
be surprised it's not in the base workflow.  I am quite sure there's
no need to mention it here.