Re: VC mode and git

From: Lele Gaifax
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2015 10:27:46 +0200

> Lele Gaifax writes:
>
>  > AFAICT, the following simple script replicates a similar case, with
>  > the same outcome:
>
> That script does the pull with no uncommitted changes, but my
> understanding was that Richard likes to leave changes uncommitted, and
> that was the case here.

I disagree with that understanding, for two reasons:

a) Richard started this thread[*] being surprised that under git a "commit" is
   a different thing than a "push", when realized he changed some entries in
   an old version of some ChangeLog; as Richard also stated that he usually
   touches the ChangeLog only when he is satisfied by the changes, I assume
   that he committed those as well (it does not make any difference if using a
   single commit with the changelog notes, or in different commits)

b) the "git status -s" he sent shows that his ChangeLog file was "modified on
   both sides", and that can happen only when there were commits on both sides
   that touched the file in question

Both reasons match with the scenario I scripted.

Happy Easter,
ciao, lele.

[*] Really "git is screwed", started a couple of days before this one
address@hidden  |                 -- Fortunato Depero, 1929.