Re: VC mode and git

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2015 05:11:07 -0400

Having stashed my changes, I tried 'git pull'.  It said that the merge failed
and reported conflicts in lisp/ChangeLog.

I fixed those by hand, and tried various ways to proceed from there.
I tried to commit lisp/ChangeLog with C-x v v in that file
and got an error that partial commits are not allowed in the middle of a
merge.

You had recommended

    git add lisp/ChangeLog
    git commit

so I tried that.  git add completed with no output.
git commit showed me a monster list of files with
changes to be committed, and asked me for the log message.
I killed it.

What next?

I know one way to get out of this.  I can extract my changes by hand,
from the files ChangeLog says I had changed.  Then I can delete this
repository and make another to use to install these changes.

I could make another repository each time I need to install something.
But cvs was much more convenient.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation