Re: VC mode and git

From: Harald Hanche-Olsen
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2015 19:26:41 +0200

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

Thanks.  The recommended workflow with branches is already described
on the Wiki, here:

   http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/GitForEmacsDevs

Right; I've been teaching grandmother to suck eggs. Sorry about that.

Feel free to suggest improvements for that, but other than that, I
think one workflow with branches should be enough for an introduction;
after that, people should find their own ways.

I notice that you recommend merging master into the task branch, not the other way around, as I indicated. Which is fine.

But then we get to the “Merging Into the Upstream Master” section, and there I have some concerns.

There you merge the task branch into a freshly updated master. Given that you recently merged the other way, that merge could well be a fast-forward, which is also fine. But then a little later, you do a commit, but won't that usually fail, because you already have a clean working directory? That is, after all, the result of a successful merge, whether fast-forward or not.

– Harald