Re: VC mode and git

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2015 13:42:44 -0400

  > The changes pushed include only changes to lisp/ChangeLog.  They don't
  > include the code changes in rmail.el and in browse-url.el.

'git diff origin/master' showed the changes in all three files.
Then I did git commit and git push.  Why didn't that install them?

I did git pull again, and it told me there was a problem
lisp/ChangeLog again, but there was no conflict in it.
Then I did git commit again.

Then I did git push again, and got this.

    To address@hidden:/srv/git/emacs.git
     ! [rejected]        master -> master (non-fast-forward)
    error: failed to push some refs to 'address@hidden:/srv/git/emacs.git'
    To prevent you from losing history, non-fast-forward updates were rejected
    Merge the remote changes (e.g. 'git pull') before pushing again.  See the
    'Note about fast-forwards' section of 'git push --help' for details.

I have no idea what that means.

      > My guess would be that these are still stashed, and need to be
      > unstashed and then pushed.

How can I tell?

And if those changes are stashed, why did they show up in git diff?

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation