Re: VC mode and git

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: VC mode and git
Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2015 21:36:51 +0300

> Date: Sun, 05 Apr 2015 11:22:05 -0700
> From: Paul Eggert <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> Richard Stallman wrote:
> > The reason I am leaning towards making a repository each time
> > I have a change to install is that it might --work-- to install
> > changes if I do it with a new repository.
>
> This is a reasonable approach to take with Git, if one wants to install
> changes
> carefully without detailed understanding of Git.  I use this approach myself
> at
> times.  Currently on my main development machine I have 79 Emacs
> repositories;
> although most of them are inactive I've used at least 17 of them this year --
> probably more, as every now and then I delete some of them.

As others have pointed out, using a separate repository each time does
not guarantee that these problems will not happen.  It definitely
cannot guarantee you against problems with pushing, due to someone
else's pushing between the time you clone a new repository and the
time you are ready for pushing your commits.

When a push fails, you need to pull again, and then you might need to
handle the conflicts during the pull, of the same kind Richard bumped
into.

So I think this kind of workflow doesn't save one from any problems
you might encounter with a single clone.  It definitely has a
disadvantage of cloning the repository each time, which involves
moving 400MB through the wire, and takes many minutes.