Re: [Emacs-diffs] master b6610d5 2/4: emacs-lisp/package.el: Refactor pr

From: Paul Eggert
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master b6610d5 2/4: emacs-lisp/package.el: Refactor pre-execute prompt
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 2015 14:22:20 -0700

On 04/06/2015 06:49 AM, Artur Malabarba wrote:

> Weekly reminder: commit messages should contain (almost) the same text as what's added to the ChangeLog files.

Sorry about that.
Hopefully, this reminder will no longer be necessary starting tomorrow. :-)

I hope so too, but I'm afraid that some sort of reminder will still be needed, as not every project uses ChangeLog format for commit messages as our guidelines suggest, and many people aren't used to the suggested style.

This is not a new problem: many ChangeLog entries don't follow our guidelines and someone else tidies them up later, which is a pain for the "someone else". If we can encourage more-standard commit messages, we can ease the maintenance burden.

Attached is a brief commentary on recently-added commit messages, which I've turned into ChangeLog format using the automated procedure that should be in place shortly, along with some commentary about possible improvements to these commit messages.