Async Package.el Feedback

From: raman
Subject: Async Package.el Feedback
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2015 17:29:11 -0700

Async  behavior for package is a welcome arrival,  here is some hopefully
useful feedback on  making things better -- especially when upgrading a large
number of packages at one shot.

0. On startup, Emacs still appears to block while  loading the gpg bits for the
various archives.

1. Even though installs happen asynchronously, there is a large amount of
chatter in the Messages area -- can that be silenced?

2. This is a admittedly a special case: For many years, my emacs-startup file
is called emacs-startup.el and is versioned by git -- ~!/.emacs is a symlink.

The code in package.el that adds the (package-initialize) to the top  of the
startup file appears to go open the startup file each  time to  check if its
magic cookie is present at the top -- so in my case, each package update caused
the yes/no prompt -- perhaps remember that the cookie is added via a lisp var
(hopefully customizable by the user)