Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 4e23cd0 4/5: * mail/rmail.el (rmail-show-messag

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 4e23cd0 4/5: * mail/rmail.el (rmail-show-message-1): When displaying a mime message,
Date: Tue, 7 Apr 2015 16:51:31 +0000

Hello, Richard.

On Tue, Apr 07, 2015 at 12:13:46PM -0400, Richard Stallman wrote:
>   > > In my book, "I want everything to work like CVS" means a lack of
>   > > motivation to learn.

> Why should I have a "motivation to learn" so much about using git?
> I am not learning it our of curiosity!

> You make an analogy of fishing.  Suppose you are a teacher, and
> a government imposes the rule that every teacher must catch a fish
> each day in order to be allowed to teach that day.  Do you want
> to learn to fish, or do you want the rule cancelled?

> Development tools are supposed to make our work easier -- not harder.
> For me, Git means many hurdles to jump in order to do the things that
> were easy before.

For what it's worth, I agree with you here on all the points you make.

> Also, I do this infrequently enough that I will have time to forget
> whatever I learn now.

I have had the good fortune/misfortune of having to learn this tool to a
minimum level of competence to be able to contribute to Emacs at all.
This cost me many, many hours I would rather have spent doing other
things.  I'm committing often enough not to forget between commits - for
the moment, at any rate.

Git is a monster to learn, taking an order of magnitude longer than to
learn Mercurial or Bazaar, and a greater jump still from learning CVS.

I would prefer just to be a user of a VCS.  With most VCSs, this is
possible.  With git, it is not; one has to know a good deal of its
internal workings to use it at all.

However, a lot of people like git, possibly for reasons similar to the
ones why we dislike it.  As a project we're stuck with it for the
foreseeable future.  :-(

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).