Re: Stash

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: Stash
Date: Wed, 08 Apr 2015 14:20:28 -0400

  > If the conflict is between the incoming branch and uncommitted changes
  > in the workspace, the requested merge fails git's preconditions and
  > does not even start.  No files in the workspace are touched, no commit
  > objects are created, and the HEAD pointer is not moved.

  > Some people (who I believe are not native speakers) have called both
  > non-success modes "failure".

Both of them are failures, because in both cases the pull doesn't do
its intended job of bringing in the latest changes so you can commit
something correct.

I will not let the Git developers redefine one of these failure modes
as a kind of success.  I will continue to refer to them both as failures.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation