Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 4e23cd0 4/5: * mail/rmail.el (rmail-show-messag

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 4e23cd0 4/5: * mail/rmail.el (rmail-show-message-1): When displaying a mime message,
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2015 10:27:36 +0300

> Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2015 04:16:29 +0300
> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> Cc: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>, address@hidden
>
> On 04/08/2015 01:48 PM, Alan Mackenzie wrote:
>
> > I don't think think that's a valid comparison.  In Emacs, you chose what
> > level of complexity you work at, and you can learn it gradually.  At a
> > basic level, you can work Emacs with self-insert keys, arrow keys, and
> > six or seven essential commands (C-g, C-x C-f, C-x C-s, C-x C-c, C-/, and
> > one or two others).  All these commands are "simple", in the sense they
> > don't require you to specify obscure options, or anything like that.
>
> There's nothing interesting in Emacs on that level.

There's no requirement for a tool to be "interesting", only to be
useful, and let one do their job.

> I certainly wouldn't have been as productive in it as I am now if I
> stopped at it.

There's no requirement to be more productive with Git beyond being
able to push changes.

> If you like, make an analogy to only working in a local Git repository,
> and only in one branch. It's easy, even somewhat useful, but not what
> most people do.

No, Git isn't useful that way.  Emacs, by contrast, is a useful text
editor even if you use the most basic commands and cursor motion keys.

> > In git, the complexity seems gratuitous - the user is exposed to the
> > maximum level of detail possible rather than the minimum required to use
> > it productively.
>
> "Maximum" is an exaggeration.

Yes, it is.  But you have to admit that Git requires a newbie to learn
quite a lot -- new terminology, several new commands, and new
procedures -- as a _prerequisite_ for being able to work in a single
remote-tracking branch.  And this is the core problem here.