Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 4e23cd0 4/5: * mail/rmail.el (rmail-show-messag

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 4e23cd0 4/5: * mail/rmail.el (rmail-show-message-1): When displaying a mime message,
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2015 10:36:06 +0300

> Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2015 04:31:08 +0300
> From: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden, address@hidden
>
> On 04/08/2015 09:19 PM, Richard Stallman wrote:
>
> > If you love complexity for complexity's sake, Git and Emacs will offer
> > you plenty.  The difference is, in Emacs you can learn certain
> > complexity when you find it worth while, and ignore the rest.  In Git
> > you must learn the complexity to do even the simplest things.
>
> Nonsense, nobody loves complexity. I like power and transparency.

You are responding to the irrelevant part of the issue: the 1st
sentence, which in fact says that Git and Emacs are quite similar for
those who love complexity (they are also similar for those who like
power).

The relevant part of the issue is everything beyond the 1st sentence:
it says that with Git you _must_ learn some of the complexity just to
do the simplest things a project member is required to do.

> You can ignore Emacs's complexity if you're okay with giving up
> features, but then it becomes inferior in many respects to other,
> "modern" editors, which arguably offer more features on lower levels of
> complexity.

It is still a useful text editor.  With Git, unless you know how to
resolve pull/push conflicts, you cannot do the simplest thing.  And
that's the difference; I don't understand how you can deny it.