Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 4e23cd0 4/5: * mail/rmail.el (rmail-show-messag

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [Emacs-diffs] master 4e23cd0 4/5: * mail/rmail.el (rmail-show-message-1): When displaying a mime message,
Date: Thu, 09 Apr 2015 19:35:40 +0300

> From: "Stephen J. Turnbull" <address@hidden>
> Cc: Dmitry Gutov <address@hidden>,
>     address@hidden,
>     address@hidden
> Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 01:24:04 +0900
>
> Eli Zaretskii writes:
>
>  > [Even without Lisp applications, Emacs] is still a useful text
>  > editor.  With Git, unless you know how to resolve pull/push
>  > conflicts, you cannot do the simplest thing.  And that's the
>  > difference; I don't understand how you can deny it.
>
> The only way I can make sense of that comment is that your definition
> of "simple" is the activity of highest complexity known to man:
> working in large distributed teams, which is the situation that
> induces pull/push conflicts.

IOW, working in any public project these days.  We violently agree.

> The simplest thing is to use Git like RCS: git commit, git diff,
> lather, rinse, repeat.

That'd be a step backward: Emacs switched from RCS to CVS about 25
years ago.

> Even Richard and Alan do that without getting
> their shorts in a knot.  But their workflows are very workspace-and-
> mainline-centric; they don't see a need for dealing with branches, let
> alone the DAG.  They don't want to go beyond the RCS workflow.  DVCS
> fans do; branches and DAG manipulations are useful tools for many
> development activities and workflows, which Richard and Alan evidently
> perform rarely if ever.  Unfortunately for them most of the developing
> world has decided that DVCS and DAGs are good things, and they're
> finding themselves more and more isolated, even within the Emacs
> community.

All true and agreed.  I just tried to show how the resulting
requirements might get in the way of some people.  I think we should
understand their POV, rather than blame them for it and despise it.