Re: Stash

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Stash
Date: Fri, 10 Apr 2015 01:53:35 +0900

Richard Stallman writes:

 >   > However, the resolutions would not be recorded individually in the
 >   > history.
 >
 > As long as I resolve the conflicts myself, which is like unofficial
 > rebasing, why should that be recorded anywhere?  No one needs to know
 > it.

That's true in CVS, because in practice nobody branched, and in
practice "cvs update" was all or nothing; people rarely branched to a
tag earlier than HEAD.  In git, however, people *frequently* have
branches that are not up to date, and if your changes involve
conflicts before and after their branch tip, *they* get "screwed" by
spurious conflicts if and when they cherry pick or rebase.

 > Imagine if I had written all my changes just a minute before
 > installing them.  That would not bother anyone.

True.

 > This sort of updating would produce the same results,

I believe that to be true of CVS in practice, but false for git in
practice, for the reasons already given.

 >. so it should not bother anyone either.

 >            In git, this causes headaches for third parties who were
 >   > cherrypicking or rebasing because they had only *some* of the
 >   > conflicting changes, and had to decide for themselves how to resolve
 >   > those conflicts that had resolutions but not conflicting changes.
 >
 > I can't understand that, because it involves things about Git that I
 > don't know and probably never will know.

Then you have a lot of nerve making the claims you make above!

 > However, I am skeptical of the clairm that installing a simple
 > localized change, all at once, could cause complexities like that.

If you really never make changes to more than one file (plus
ChangeLog) at a time, you're probably right.  On the other hand, in
that case I think your solution is simply to remember to push.

Which is where you started AIUI (ie, wanting an automated push).  If
you'd started with the position that you wanted that only for yourself
and asked somebody to do it for you, you'd have it already, and the
rest of us would have been saved a pile of aggravation.