Re: commit-msg hook

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: commit-msg hook
Date: Sat, 11 Apr 2015 18:13:31 +0300

On 04/11/2015 05:29 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> There's no guarantee that there is an Emacs executable in PATH, nor that
src/emacs is compiled and working.

On Emacs developer's machine?  Blasphemy!

I do have older Emacs versions built, but they're not installed globally.

(We only need _some_ Emacs, not the latest one.)

The one that would be in PATH is the master build, but if it breaks, I'd still like to be able to commit... I think.

Overall, I think porting the whole commit-msg script from awk (scary!) to Elisp would be nice, but it will create this new complication.

At the very least, it will involve a new configuration step, to somehow tell Git which Emacs build to use.