Re: Calling (package-initialize) sooner during initialization

From: Jorgen Schäfer
Subject: Re: Calling (package-initialize) sooner during initialization
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 16:45:15 +0200

On Sun, Apr 12, 2015 at 4:26 PM, Artur Malabarba
<address@hidden> wrote:
>>> - package-load-list: Needs to be configured before.
>>
>> If the user does not want to enable certain packages, they can move
>> them out of ~/.emacs.d/elpa/. If necessary, they can move the packages
>> into, say, ~/.emacs.d/held/ and run
>> (package-load-directory "~/.emacs.d/held") after configuring this variable.
>
> This sounds very inconvenient for those who don't want to activate a
> specific package at startup, but want to keep it up-to-date with
> package.el. Not to mention the package won't be seen by package.el and
> so won't be considered when dependency checking.

The trivial solution to this would be to set package-user-dir to
~/.emacs.d/packages/
in your user init file, configure package-load-list as before, and run
(package-load-directory package-user-dir). That's one line more (setting
package-user-dir) than it is now, and achieves the same result, so I would not
exactly call this "very inconvenient".

I have to admit that this seems like a pretty niche use case, though. Out of
curiosity, why would you not want the autoloads of an installed package be
loaded at startup? What workflow makes this useful?

Regards,
Jorgen