Re: electric-pair-mode as a minor mode?

From: Dmitry Gutov
Subject: Re: electric-pair-mode as a minor mode?
Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 19:39:46 +0300

On 04/12/2015 04:16 PM, address@hidden (João Távora) wrote:

As a side note, a spurious "Summary: " prefix slipped through in the
first line of the commit message, since I ammended my local commit from
the command line, with emacsclient as EDITOR and then used M-p
`log-edit-previous-comment' to pull in the last message. I saw
'Summary:' fontified so assumed it would be killed by `log-edit-mode'.

Thoughts:

- I wonder why you didn't have the existing message already filled in the buffer, so you'd had to press `M-n'.

- This kind of commit message buffers should probably use a different major mode: after all, the format of the contents is different.

- vc-git supports the "amend" feature, so you shouldn't have had to use the command line; although it's a bit awkward when you want just to edit the message, and there are no changes in any files: then `vc-next-action' doesn't even initiate commit. We should integrate it with `log-view-modify-change-comment'.

Something like

    (defun log-edit--strip-headers-maybe ()
      (save-excursion
        (goto-char (point-min))
        (when (and (search-forward-regexp "^Summary:[ \t]+" (line-end-position)
t)
                   (y-or-n-p "Possibly spurious \"Summary:\" header detected.
Remove?"))
          (delete-region (match-beginning 0) (match-end 0)))))

Maybe somewhere in `before-save-hook' of the new major mode?