Re: Displaying scrollable images in a grid-layout

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Displaying scrollable images in a grid-layout
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 17:51:15 +0300

> From: Tassilo Horn <address@hidden>
> Cc: Andreas Politz <address@hidden>,  address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 14 Apr 2015 15:29:26 +0200
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
> >> doc-view let's you scroll the page, i.e. the image is only partially
> >> visible.  I want the same behaviour for more than one image in the
> >> buffer. Possible display state with 2 images:
> >
> > If each image is taller than the window, a simple down-arrow should do
> > what you want.  (Isn't that what you see in doc-view?)
>
> In doc-view, there is always exactly one image in the buffer.  As soon
> as you've scrolled enough to its top/bottom, it'll be replaced with the
> image of the next/previous page.
>
> What Andreas wants to accomplish is to have all images of all pages of a
> document in the current buffer at the same time.

I understand, but the number of images is not the issue here.  The
issue is the height of an individual image (or, if there are several
images on a single line, the tallest image on that line) in comparison
to the window height.  If the image is taller, Emacs scrolls
pixel-wise by default, because otherwise the user stands no chance of
viewing all parts of the image.

But if the window is taller than the image, Emacs tries to show the
image in its entirety, and scrolling pixel-wise in this situation
causes partial visibility, which goes against this policy.