Re: electric-pair-mode as a minor mode?

From: João Távora
Subject: Re: electric-pair-mode as a minor mode?
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 22:39:44 +0100

> Ah, right.  Well, there's a lot of people who use various non-standard
> quoting methods.  I doubt you'd be able to make them all work out of the
> box.  You have people who use stuff like "Lars | Here's the quouted text"
> and so on.

This is why I said "inserted using message.el's message-cite-*
mechanisms". Do these people insert their quotes using message-yank-*
variables?

If so, the regexp could be constructed to respect those, and not
message-cite-prefix-regexp, right?

> But if I understand your code correctly, I think what you're doing is
> fine, and people who use weird quoting styles will just have to cope.
> (Or rather, not get the new, nice functionality.)

Or that. It might not be worth the effort.

On a related subject, I was thinking of (require 'smiley) in message.el
to avoid a `message-smiley' variable (a list o strings), and just use
the cars of `smiley-regexp-alist'. Can that be problematic?  (especially
because I've learned recently that changes to Emacs's Gnus are
automatically cherry-picked to the Gnus upstream where they might break
unexpectedly).