Re: Calling (package-initialize) sooner during initialization

From: Taylan Ulrich Bayırlı/Kammer
Subject: Re: Calling (package-initialize) sooner during initialization
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 17:16:16 +0200

Nic Ferrier <address@hidden> writes:

> My preference would be to add a post-package-init.el thereby not
> changing the defined semantics of the current system at all.

That would be good for backwards compatibility, but won't solve the
problem of people asking why a function in their init.el is undefined
when they installed the package providing it.

A clearly with-solution documented breakage in a major release should be
an acceptable trade-off, I think.  WDYT?

(The solution being "if you have (package-initialize) anywhere in your
init.el, copy everything before it to ~/.emacs.d/pre-package-init.el,
then remove the (package-initialize) and everything prior to it."
Correct me if I'm missing something.)

Taylan