Re: Calling (package-initialize) sooner during initialization

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Calling (package-initialize) sooner during initialization
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 13:16:54 -0400

I think all those discussions are missing the point.
If we want to improve the system to the point of considering adding new
init files, then we should try and fix other problems at the same time.

So here's one of the larger problems:

How can we make the system work such that the user can:
- Use customize to set package-user-dir, package-pinned-packages, etc...
- Use customize to configure a variable which has a :require which loads
  a file that's only available after calling package-initialize.
The first requires package-initialize to be called late, the second
requires package-initialize to be called early.

Maybe a solution is to simply make customize-set-variables lazier, so
that variables with a :require see their setting delayed to after
package-initialize was called.  Or else, have package-initialize be
called by customize-set-variables.  Or...

        Stefan