Re: Calling (package-initialize) sooner during initialization

From: chad
Subject: Re: Calling (package-initialize) sooner during initialization
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 15:37:45 -0700

On 18 Apr 2015, at 10:16, Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> wrote:

I think all those discussions are missing the point.
If we want to improve the system to the point of considering adding new
init files, then we should try and fix other problems at the same time.
[…]
Maybe a solution is to simply make customize-set-variables lazier, so
that variables with a :require see their setting delayed to after
package-initialize was called.  Or else, have package-initialize be
called by customize-set-variables.  Or…

I havent tried it as a solution to these issues, since I long-ago
split customize out into a separate file that is loaded manually
at a specific place in my .emacs file, but it seems that John
Wiegleys use-package package might address this issue more generally,
by deferring the relevant config steps programmatically. This would
be new infrastructure that new users could use in place of the
existing snippets that they place in their init files (presumably
from the web, email, friends, etc).

The project right now is hosted on github, which (IIRC) can be read
without an account and without allowing _javascript_.

https://github.com/jwiegley/use-package

I recall that some people in this thread use use-package, so perhaps
they can shoot down this idea or suggest ways to make it useful.

~Chad