RE: Calling (package-initialize) sooner during initialization

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Calling (package-initialize) sooner during initialization
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 17:24:20 -0700 (PDT)

> I usually tell people to place their custom-set-variables at the top
> of their init file.

Sorry, but any such advice is misguided, IMO.  Depending on one's
init file (including what particular libraries are loaded, and
when), it can make sense to load `custom-file' (the equivalent of,
but wiser than, positioning `custom-set-variables') in any number
of places in the file.

There is simply no such one-size-fits-all rule wrt when Customize
settings should be made.  If those fiddling now with redesigning
package setup think there is, then I fear we are in for a world of
trouble.  Dunno whether this is the kind of thing Nic was thinking
of, but it's what I worry about.

My suggestion: Don't try to be too clever.  Keep it simple.
Which is another way of saying avoid simplistic assumptions.

> Otherwise, if you install a new theme and try to
> `(load-theme 'theme-name)' in your init file, you'll get problems
> because `custom-safe-themes' hasn't been set yet.

Welcome to the world of Customize.  That is one consideration.
There are others.  You will not find a simple rule such as you
are suggesting that works in general, precisely because what
else is in the init file matters.