Re: fixing an Elpa package

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: fixing an Elpa package
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 21:52:13 -0400

>>> I guess that makes sense from Git's point of view,
>> If the hashes are the same, then I don't see why it makes sense.
> About 275 commits from the external repo went into Elpa as a single
> squashed commit, ab3b913. The file contents are the same, but I assumed
> Git saw no correspondence between the one squashed and many un-squashed
> commits, and told me I was starting over.

I think the situation is not quite like you say.  I tried

   git subtree merge --squash -P packages/gnorb gnorb/master

and it did not try to re-add everything.  It did try to add too much
("git diff | wc" is a whole 80KB), because in

   % git log packages/gnorb/
   [...]
   commit ce7004456df8d17d1b1bb9b1feab3ddafb1e078a
   Author: Eric Abrahamsen <address@hidden>
   Date:   Sat Oct 25 08:19:41 2014 -0700

       Merging Gnorb commits up to 1.0.1

you somehow managed to "merge" without keeping track of the metadata
("git subtree merge --squash" doesn't keep all commits, but it does
keep the hashes in the commit messages, so "git merge" doesn't
understand what's going on, but "git subtree merge --squash" normally
does, although in the above commit there's no such tracking, so maybe
you didn't use "git subtree merge --squash").

> What's the next step? Commit a removal of the whole subtree, and start
> over?

I installed a dummy commit which merges the tree to which you apparently
sync'd in the above commit, so the above

   git subtree merge --squash -P packages/gnorb gnorb/master

now results in much fewer conflicts ("git diff | wc" is a mere 5KB).
So now you just have to use the above command (or another one if you
want to merge another revision than "gnorb/master"), then resolve the
conflicts, then commit and push.
If you need more help, you know where to find me ;-)

> Semi-related question: if a users reports an emacs bug with my package
> in the package header, or it gets tagged later, will an email be
> automatically sent to me as maintainer?

No, we currently don't have such a mechanism in place, sadly.

        Stefan