Re: [elpa] master 9f21e1d 06/18: Add a matching optimization

From: Oleh Krehel
Subject: Re: [elpa] master 9f21e1d 06/18: Add a matching optimization
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2015 17:08:17 +0200

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

>>     * ivy.el (ivy-completions): When the new regex `re' is a contains the
>>       old regex `ivy--old-re', it must be true that all candidates that
>>       match `re' are contained inside all candidates that match
>
> IIUC ivy-mode treats the minibuffer's content as a regexp, so the user
> can write any fancy regexp she wants.  In that case, the above is
> actually not guaranteed.  E.g.  "foo" matches fewer candidates than
> "foo?".

True, it's an optimization for the most basic use of space separated
words. But I was playing around with filtering the 3000000 lines git
grep in the emacs repo, and I wanted to see if it would be faster with
the optimization.

I'll either add a custom var to turn this optimization on/off or try to
check if the input is just space-separated words.

>> +                      ((and ivy--old-re (eq 0 (cl-search ivy--old-re re)))
>
> Why not use string-prefix-p?

Because I didn't know about it. I'll switch.

Oleh