Re: Improving browsing and discoverability in the Packages Menu

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Improving browsing and discoverability in the Packages Menu
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 06:05:51 +0200

Drew Adams <address@hidden> writes:

>> For instance, there are 3 different mode-line keywords: mode-line,
>> modeline, and mode line. The last two contain a single package each,
>> both of which will not show up if the user looks for the "mode-line"
>> keword...
>
> Yes, it's a bother.  But there is no way to know what is a typo or
> negligence and what is intentional difference, e.g. required by some
> particular code or context.

If it were intended by the package author, where is the problem of
adding

  ;; byte-compile-warnings: (not unknown-keyword)

to the package's local variables section?

> That's why I suggest that you start out with a new, fresh field, which
> you announce as pretty much dedicated to package.el and which will be
> controlled by it.

I don't see why `Keywords' shouldn't be appropriate for elisp programs
installable via package.el.  It's not that it re-defines its meaning.
The benefit of using it is that it's already there most of the time.  A
new field would take some time to get picked up.  And I'm pretty sure
you won't see any occurrence of

  ;; Package Keywords: mode-line, email

even if there was a new field.

Bye,