Re: Improving browsing and discoverability in the Packages Menu

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Improving browsing and discoverability in the Packages Menu
Date: Tue, 21 Apr 2015 08:52:14 +0200

Drew Adams <address@hidden> writes:

>> If it were intended by the package author, where is the problem of
>> adding
>>   ;; byte-compile-warnings: (not unknown-keyword)
>> to the package's local variables section?
>
> So to some file written by someone somewhere somewhen, perhaps quite
> some time ago, you say: "All ya gotta do is jump through this leetle
> hoop here."

Yes, exactly.  Because if it is available via ELPA, MELPA, or some other
package archive, then it seems to be actively maintained.  And in the
very unlikely case that the author/maintainer insists on "modeline"
instead of "mode-line", she can jump through the little hoop.

BTW, an `unknown-keyword' warning was not really what I meant in my
previous reply.  Of course, package.el cannot know all sensible
keywords, so it should work with any keyword.  But in the case of
keywords that are likely just synonyms or typos of some commonly used
keyword (modeline vs. mode-line), it could suggest the commonly used one
for achieving a bit standardization.

>> And I'm pretty sure you won't see any occurrence of
>>   ;; Package Keywords: mode-line, email
>> even if there was a new field.
>
> Sorry, I didn't catch your last point.  Perhaps you mean to say that
> `Keywords' will disappear?  All the kids will run to play in the new
> sandbox?

No, what I've meant to say is that when a maintainer adds the new
`Package Keywords' header duplicating the existing `Keywords' header and
then sees that byte-compilation suggests to use the more commonly used
"mode-line" and "email" instead of "modeline" and "electronic mail", why
should she change only `Package Keywords` accordingly and not
`Keywords', too?  (Assuming that she agrees that "mode-line" and "email"
express what she intended to express, too.)

She doesn't know that there are some people that don't want `Keywords'
to be changed.  Or should the warning say something like that?

    The Package Keywords entry "modeline" is likely to mean "mode-line".
    If you agree, change it accordingly but please let the Keywords
    header as-is for the Olt Town's habitants peace of mind.

Bye,
Tassilo